Monday, November 12, 2007

Lately, I have been trying to wake up early to go running. It helps to boost my energy before the day begins and it has been something very good. Many of the students are out early practicing their speaking in every little place especially around the track. Today, both Patty and I were not feeling totally well. Patty has some "bad" side-effects from food (we do not know what this time), and I have had some "glow in the dark" mucus that has not gone away. I think I may get some medicine tomorrow. The weather continues to be good, so we have enjoyed that. Today, ended up being a very busy day.

I had listening class this morning and we finished up watching the movie, "Remember the Titans" and the students really got into the movie, they were laughing hysterically at time and some were crying at times. This is a good practice, but also a break from listening to listening tapes and doing the workbook. They enjoy it too. Maybe we will watch "Facing the Giants" another time, because they really enjoyed the football movie. After class, I went to town because Patty was not feeling well. It always ends up being a big ordeal, where you return on the bus with your backpack full of about 10 lbs. of rice and other goods, and your hands full of fresh vegetables and fruits from the market. Today, I had almost more than I could carry. I also had to get a new pipe to try to fix our sink that started leaking yesterday--but Patty fixed it already and made it stop leaking for now. What a woman!! Grocery shopping usually takes about two hours with the bus ride to the market, walking to the two grocery stores, walking through the market and the return trip home.

Today was also the first day of the teacher basketball tournaments. I guess there will be four or five weeks of playing every Monday afternoon. I was really excited to play, but we had a very hard game against the PE (Phy. Ed) department. A couple of them are very good basketball players, so I did not think we had much of a chance. It was a very physical game, because as the dean of our department said, if we lose it is ok, but if they lose it is like losing face. After the first quarter we were down 26-6, but at halftime we were only down by one. The lead went back and forth after that, as many students came to watch. It was a great chance to be able to meet one of the other foreign teachers, Dustin from Seattle. My jaw still hurts from getting hit there by another player, as this was some of the examples of the physical play. In the end, I missed a three-pointer at the end that would have tied the game. The dean of our department and the school president were very excited that we did so well. They took us out for a meal after the game which was fun to get together with the English department teachers again since we have been working together, but do not always have a chance to talk. Next week, we play the administration team and our friend Tom. We will keep you updated. We hope all is going well at home and that your lives are blessed in new and unique ways every day. Dan and Patty

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home