Thursday, April 16, 2009

Easter is full of traditions, but this year had all kinds of new things. Maybe they will become traditions, we will see. We went to Guiyang to get together with our fellow teacher friends and our boss. It was exciting to see them all again. We were a part of the family egg coloring and hiding and later we went out and played baseball (bangqiu). There were quite a few Chinese watching, but their school is actually starting to have baseball as a sport, only the 6th school in China. That was quite fun with a little football throwing too, kinda like Christmas or Thanksgiving. Then we went back for some homemade pizza, six different kinds and then three kinds of pie. That is my kind of tradition. That was just the beginning as it was only Saturday.

Easter Sunday, or as I rather like FuHuoJie Come back from death day or Resurrection Day was quite a busy one for our group. Patty and many of the others were playing music for the gathering of foreigners at a local hotel called the Miracle. I was giving the message. As always, I was very nervous, but everything went very well. Afterwards, we went out to Pizza Fun, a pizza and western food buffet, over 100 of us chowing on pizza and sharing about how things are going. I could get used to a tradition like that--great fellowship, friends, and food. The only thing that was missing was family...we definitely have to say that we miss our family during the holidays, but we love you all very much and look forward to coming home soon. Not really sure what is going on for next year totally yet though, lots of conflicting ideas. One day at a time though and only 2.5 more months I think.

Monday was also busy as I taught my British Literature class then had my first Geology Lecture--next term they made a class called Special English for Science majors. I wonder what special english is though?? I made a powerpoint with tons of pictures and was talking about plate tectonics, plate movements that cause the mountains, volcanoes and earthquakes that shape and shake our lives. It still went very well as I shared lots of stories and enjoyed it...150 students. Following class, I played in the 3-on-3 basketball tournament for the teacher team but sadly lost to the champions from last year--the team that beat us last year too. Looking forward to the weekend and relaxing a bit though, hope you are all doing well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home